“Fisher Communications Early Detection Contest 2013”
Official Contest Rules
Story and photo submissions will be accepted beginning Monday, April 22nd, 2013 at 12:00am Pacific Daylight Time through Sunday, May 19th, 2013 at 11:59pm Pacific Daylight Time. Voting will take place beginning Monday, May 20th, 2013 at 12:00am Pacific Daylight Time through June 2nd, 2013 at 11:59pm Pacific Daylight Time.
HOW IT WORKS:
Beginning Monday, April 22nd, 2013 through May 19th, 2013, individuals are encouraged to go to www.komonews.com/detectearly to submit a story and/or photo sharing their experience with early detection. Your story/photo can be about (1) How early detection changed your life, and/or (2) Why you think early detection is important. Submissions will be viewed each weekday at approximately 9am PDT during the duration of the contest and if deemed appropriate, approved by Fisher Communications personnel each weekday morning. Fisher Communications and sponsors reserve the right to reject any submissions that are deemed inappropriate for any reason at their sole discretion. Administrator decisions are final on approval of submissions. Entrants can encourage others to register to vote and comment on their photo submission once the Voting Period has begun. Voting will take place beginning Monday, May 20th, 2013 at 12:00am PDT and end on June 2nd, 2013 at 11:59pm PDT. Voters must be registered with the contesting system used by Fisher Communications (U Pick Em) and only one vote is permitted per person per day. Individuals with multiple email addresses may only vote once per day. The entrant’s submissions with the most online votes during the above specified voting period will be the Grand Prize Winner. The entrant that receives the second most votes at the conclusion of the above specified voting period will be the First Runner Up. The entrant receiving the third most votes at the conclusion of the specified voting period will be the Second Runner Up. In the event of a tie, a random drawing will be held to determine a winner.
Fisher Radio Seattle, Fisher Communications, Seattle Cancer Care Alliance, and Skin Cancer Clinic (Collectively, hereinafter, “Sponsors”)
ELIGIBILITY & LIMITATIONS:
•One submission per person
•Odds of winning depend on the number of eligible entries received
•Automated voting of any kind is not allowed. Detection of any automated or fraudulent voting will lead to votes being voided. IP Addresses showing an unusually large amount of votes in a short period will be deleted at the sole discretion of Fisher Communications
•Voting is limited to one vote per person per day. Only one registered account per voter. If multiple accounts are suspected or detected for a single voter, they will be disabled and votes will be disqualified
•This contest is not intended for gambling. If it is determined that a contestant is using the contest for gambling purposes they will be disqualified and reported to authorities.
•Contest entrants agree to abide by the terms of these Official Rules and by the decisions of the contest commissioners, which are final on all matters pertaining to the contest
•Must be 18 years old or older to submit a story and/or vote
•In the event of submissions having the same vote totals, a random drawing will be held to determine a winner
•Multiple or mechanically reproduced entries may result in disqualification. Fisher is not responsible for (1) any incorrect or inaccurate information, whether caused by entrants, printing errors, or by any of the equipment or programming associated with or utilized in the contest; (2) technical failures of any kind, including but not limited to malfunctions, interruptions, or disconnections in phone lines or network hardware or software; (3) unauthorized human intervention in any part of the entry process or the contest; (4) technical or human error which may occur in the administration of the contest or the processing of the entries; or (5) any injury or damage to person or property which may be caused, directly or indirectly, in whole or in part, from entrant’s participation in the contest or receipt or use or misuse of any prize. Fisher is not and will not be responsible for whether human, mechanical, electronic or otherwise lost, late, incomplete, damaged, stolen or misdirected submissions; interrupted or unavailable network, server or other connections; miscommunications; computer or software malfunctions; telephone transmission problems; technical failures; garbled or jumbled transmissions; damage to a user’s computer equipment; undeliverable emails resulting from any form of active or passive email filtering; insufficient space in email accounts to receive email; or other errors of any kind, whether due to electronic, human, mechanical, printing, production or technical errors or other causes; even if caused by the negligence of any of the Releasees. Entries that are altered, delayed, deleted, destroyed, forged, fraudulent, improperly accessed, inaccurate, incomplete, interrupted, irregular in any way, late, lost, misdirected, multiple, non-delivered, stolen, tampered with, unauthorized, unintelligible or otherwise not in compliance with these Rules will be disqualified
•All prizes and components are not exchangeable or redeemable for cash; are subject to terms and conditions of use as stated thereon. All other expenses not described in prize, description above (including, but not limited to, ground transportation, meals, food & beverage, mini-bar, room service, baggage fees (where applicable), laundry, and gratuities) and taxes and fees, if any, are the sole responsibility of the prize winner. A credit card will be required at the time of check-in for incidentals.
•KOMO News TV and/or KOMO Newsradio and/or KOMOnews.com may feature any individual submission and photo or all of the submissions and photos at their sole discretion, at any time.
Grand Prize: The one (1) entrant that receives the most votes during the above specified voting period will receive:
- A check for $1,000 (Approximate Value: $1,000)
- The Grand Prize winner’s submission may be featured at www.komonews.com/detectearly (Approximate Value: $0)
- TOTAL PRIZE VALUE: $1,000
First Runner Up: The one (1) entrant that receives the second most votes during the above specified voting period will receive:
- A trip for two to Victoria, B.C. from Clipper Vacations- package includes round trip transportation for two between Seattle and Victoria BC with continental breakfast en route and one night’s standard, shared accommodations at one of the following hotels (based on availability at the time of booking): Coast Victoria, Harbourside Hotel, Chateau Victoria, Harbour Towers, Best Western Carlton Plaza or Oswego Hotel (Studio Suite). ( Approximate Value: $396)
- Certificate is valid for travel through February 28, 2014 and certificate will not be extended
- All prizes and components are not exchangeable or redeemable for cash; are subject to terms and conditions of use as stated thereon. All other expenses not described in prize, description above (including, but not limited to, ground transportation, meals, food & beverage, mini-bar, room service, baggage fees (where applicable), laundry, and gratuities) and taxes and fees, if any, are the sole responsibility of the prize winner. A credit card will be required at the time of check-in for incidentals.
- Contestants are solely responsible for ensuring their compliance with all applicable rules and regulations regarding entry into Canada and re-entry in to the United States.
- Winners may extend their trip at their own cost with the Clipper Vacations and hotel partners.
- Reservations for travel must be made Monday through Saturday between 7:00am PT and 3:30pm PT with a Victoria Clipper representative at least 7 days prior to desired travel date.
- The First Runner Up’s submission may be featured at www.komonews.com/detectearly (Approximate Value: $0)
Second Runner-Up: The one (1) entrant that receives the third most votes during the above specified voting period will receive:
- A $100 gift card to Koral Restaurant in Bellevue (Approximate Value: $100)
- Koral Promotional Gift Card is redeemable for food and beverages sold at Koral Bar & Kitchen and Pearl Bar & Dining. Card is not redeemable for cash and has no cash value. Lost or stolen cards will not be replaced.
- The Second Runner Up’s submission may also be featured at www.komonews.com/detectearly (Approximate Value: $0)
THE FOLLOWING GENERAL RULES APPLY TO ALL FISHER CONTESTS:
1. No purchase is necessary to enter. Contest is subject to federal, state and local laws and is void where prohibited by law.
2. General Eligibility and Limitations. Participants and winner(s) must be legal U.S. residents of residing or working in Western Washington (Snohomish, Thurston, Kitsap, Island, Pierce, Mason, Jefferson, Skagit, Kittitas, Grays Harbor, Lewis, Cowlitz, Whatcom, San Juan, Clallam and King Counties). All contest winners must disclose his or her legal name, address, telephone number, date of birth and Social Security Number and any other information required in an entry form. Any winner found to have supplied false or misleading information may be disqualified from the contest and therefore forfeit the prize(s). Age restrictions may apply. By submitting an entry, all entrants to any contest both imply and agree to participate in the contest and obey the rules of the contest and all applicable law.
Employees of Fisher Broadcasting - Seattle Radio L.L.C. and Fisher Communications, Inc., (collectively, “Fisher”) and any and all parent, subsidiary, related and affiliated companies, and their respective officers, directors employees and agents and their dependents and immediate families, as well as employees of contest Sponsors, vendors, and prize providers and employees of other broadcast stations are not eligible to participate (including voting where applicable) or win and immediate family and of such individuals, are not eligible to enter or play (including voting where applicable). "Immediate family members" shall mean parents, step-parents, children, step-children, siblings, step-siblings, or spouses. Fisher may prohibit an entrant from participating in the contest if it determines that said entrant is attempting to undermine the legitimate operation of the contest by cheating, hacking, deception or other unfair playing practices or intending to abuse, threaten or harass other entrants. Caution: Any attempt by a participant to deliberately damage any website or undermine the legitimate operation of the contest is a violation of criminal and civil laws and should such an attempt be made, Fisher reserves the right to seek damages from any such participant to the fullest extent of the law.
3. Release of Liability. Fisher and any other contest sponsors and their affiliated companies and their respective officers, directors and employees shall be released and discharged from any and all legal claims, losses, injuries, demands, damages, actions, and /or causes of actions which arise out of and/or are in any way related to the prize(s), the receipt, use and/or enjoyment of the prize(s) and/or damages or losses related to the contest. If a Sponsor pulls out of a contest for reasons beyond Fisher’s control, Fisher is not responsible for continuing the contest and may substitute prizes to fulfill obligations.
4. Identification of Participants/Use of Voice and Likeness. Listeners understand that if they call-in or enter any Fisher contest (mail-in, web site or on-air) they may be called by Fisher personnel live on-the-air, or taped live-on-the-air for use as part of the on-air contest or in future advertising or promotion on any Fisher broadcast station. Listeners further understand that permission to use their voice, likeness and/or name is granted by entering to win or calling in to win any contest on a Fisher broadcast station. By entering, listeners consent to such use. Each winner further grants Fisher and their sponsors and its affiliates full permission and authority to use his or her name, likeness and/or voice in all forms of advertising or promotion without further compensation or permission.
Entries and other submitted material become the property of Fisher Radio Seattle and will not be returned. By submitting an entry: (i) You represent and warrant that, if you are the designated person for a group of persons or company that has entered this Contest, you are authorized to make representations and warranties on behalf of the group or the company, and the company or you and the group of persons, as the case may be, will be jointly and severally liable for any breach of these representations and warranties or other failure to comply with the Official Rules of this Contest.(ii) You represent and warrant that your entry and all elements contained therein (“Content”) is original and, to the extent the Content incorporates or includes anything that is owned or controlled by any third party, you have obtained in writing all rights necessary to comply with the Official Rules of this Contest; and, that Content does not violate any copyright, trademark, publicity right, or any other right of any third party.(iii) You agree that Content shall be, to the maximum extent eligible, a "work made for hire," under the U.S. Copyright Act, as amended, with all rights therein, including without limitation the exclusive copyright, being the property of Fisher Radio Seattle. Otherwise, if your entry or any element thereof is considered not to be a "work made for hire," you hereby unconditionally and irrevocably transfer to Fisher Radio Seattle all right, title, and interest in the Content (including, without limitation, the copyright) in any and all media whether now known or hereafter devised, in perpetuity, wherever produced or located, including the right to use, copy, distribute, perform, display and to create derivative works of the Content for advertising, trade, other commercial purposes or any other purpose; provided, however, to the extent Content contains third party materials, you have obtained written permission granting Fisher Radio Seattle a perpetual, royalty-free, fully paid, freely transferable (with full rights to sublicense) universal, unconditional and irrevocable right and license to copy, distribute, perform, display and to create derivative works from such third party materials for any and all purposes relating to the promotion, marketing, advertising, distribution and/or sales of Fisher Radio Seattle or other third party products and services for cancer and cancer screening; (iv) You represent and warrant that you meet the requirements and qualifications for this Contest, and that you have read these Official Rules and are fully familiar with them. (b) You agree (and if you are the designated contact person for a group of persons or a company, agree as an authorized agent on behalf of that group of persons or company) to indemnify, and hold Fisher Radio Seattle, its officers, directors, employees, contractors, agents and representatives (“Indemnitees”) harmless from and against any third party claim (including reasonably attorneys’ fees and costs) arising from any use of the Content. You waive (i) any right to publicity, privacy or moral rights relating to the Content or your participation in this Contest, and (ii) any right to inspect or approve uses of the Content or to be compensated for any such uses. To the extent these rights may not be waived legally, you agree not to assert them.
5. Telephone Contests. If a contest is a call in to win contest and/or a telephone is needed to participate in the contest, participants are restricted to the use of ordinary telephone equipment. Participants that enable the “Caller ID” block function may not be allowed to participate unless they enter their correct area code and telephone number if prompted, or they disable the function to enable their participation in the contest. Poorly connected or disconnected cellular phone calls may be disqualified. Calls for contestants are taken in order of receipt. In the event that more than one voice is heard on the phone line, the contestant/qualifier or winner will be the first person to speak. If the judge(s) is not able to determine which caller was first, a random drawing will be held to determine the winner. The use of switching or programming equipment by telephone company employees is in violation of contest rules and is not permitted. Telephone contests with “cues to call” are only official when heard on-air via radio. Due to the time delay that exists between a station’s over-the-air signal and the station’s online webcast or streaming, listeners who listen to the station’s online stream may hear a cue to call later than listeners listening to the over-the-air signal. As a result, the odds of an online listener being able to enter or become a winner may be diminished.
6. Mail/Fax/Text Contests. Only one entry per person will be accepted unless otherwise specified on-the-air or in separate contest rules. Unless otherwise specified in a contest’s specific rules, winning entry(s) will be randomly selected from all valid entries received. If entry is illegible or does not supply all information deemed necessary to declare a winner, entry will be deemed invalid and another entry will be selected. Participants are responsible for any standard carrier texting fees that apply to any text contest entered.
7. Paper Entry Form Contests. Contestant must complete an official entry form and deposit it in the provided entry box or mail it to the address below. Only one entry per person may be submitted for each contest unless otherwise specified in separate contest rules. Unless otherwise specified in a contest’s specific rules, winning entry(s) will be randomly selected from all valid entries received. If an entry is deemed illegible or does not supply all the information necessary to declare a winner, the entry will be deemed invalid and another entry will be selected. If mailed-in entry forms are permitted, entry forms must be mailed to ATTN: Fisher Communications Promotions: “Fisher Communications Early Detection Contest 2013”, at 140 4th Avenue North, Suite 340, Seattle, WA 98109.
8. Website Contests. To enter a contest on a Fisher station’s website, contestants must complete all the information deemed necessary to declare a winner. Only one entry per person may be submitted unless otherwise specified in separate contest rules. Unless otherwise specified in a contest’s specific rules winning entries will be randomly selected from all valid entries received. If entry does not supply all the information deemed necessary to declare a winner, entry will be deemed invalid and another entry will be selected. When entering a contest via an advertiser’s web banner or logo hyperlink, Fisher is not responsible for prize fulfillment or any aspect of the contest.
9. Problems with Entries in All Contests; Fisher Not Responsible. Fisher is not responsible for late, misdirected, lost or mutilated mail, entry forms or faxes. No liability is assumed for any malfunction of computer equipment, fax machine equipment or fax machine telephone lines. No liability is assumed by the Station for any malfunction of the internet or individual computer systems. Fisher (i) disclaims and assumes no responsibility for any error, omission, interruption, deletion, defect, or delay in operation or transmission of entries by any and all methods; communications line, device, or system failure; theft or destruction or unauthorized access to, or alteration of, entries; faulty, mistranscribed, misdirected, failed, incomplete, garbled entries; misdialed communications or transmission; (ii) is not responsible for any problems or technical malfunction of any telephone, communications, or wireless network or lines, computer on-line systems, servers, internet service provider, computer or handheld device, equipment, hardware, software, failure of any entry information to be received by the Sponsor on account of technical problems, human error, or traffic congestion on the Internet, at any website, or wireless network, and (iii) is not responsible for any combination of the above, including any injury or damage to the participant's or any other person's computer or other hardware or equipment related to or resulting from entering, participation in, or downloading any materials in this contest.
10. Determination of Winner(s). Final determination of all winners will be made solely by Fisher. Any and all decisions made by the Fisher’s on-air personalities and/or staff are final. Contest rules are available by request from Fisher Radio Seattle’s Promotions Department. Any listener requesting contest rules must send a self-addressed envelope to “ATTN: Fisher Communications Promotions: “Fisher Communications Early Detection Contest 2013” Rules to: 140 4th Avenue North Suite 340, Seattle, WA 98109 or go on-line to the contest website (www.komonews.com/detectearly). For a list of winners, send a self-addressed, stamped envelope to “ATTN: Fisher Communications Promotions: “Fisher Communications Early Detection Contest 2013 Winners” to 140 4th Avenue North, Suite 340, Seattle, WA 98109” within 30 days of the conclusion of the contest. Fisher is only required to provide the first name and last initial of winner as well as they city he/she resides in upon valid request.
11. Transferability/Substitution of Prize. Prizes may not be traded or transferred.
Substitutions of cash or cash equivalents, unless otherwise specifically stated in the contest rules are not allowed other than a substitution that may be necessary due to the unavailability of a prize. If concert, other ticketed event, gift certificate or coupon has been awarded as a prize and the concert, event, place of business, or product is postponed, rained out, cancelled or for other reasons, beyond our control, does not occur/exist, Fisher will not be responsible for replacing the prize. Prizes not redeemed by expiration date are no longer valid and will not be replaced by Fisher.
In accepting a prize, the winner accepts to take the prize as outlined in the contest. Dates for concert, flight departure/arrival, weekend stays, etc, cannot be changed by winner. If changing the dates is an option, all additional expenses, change fees, etc. will be the sole responsibility of the winner. If a winner is not able to or chooses not to accept prize “as is”; winner forfeits his/her prize and Fisher reserves the right to select another winner. Winner is responsible for all costs associated with travel to any venue or event for which a prize was awarded, unless otherwise specified. If the prize includes a trip, winner agrees to accept all blackout dates, space availability requirements, etc. established by Fisher’s prize partner(s) who are providing the prize components, such as lodging, transportation, meals, etc. Winner agrees that acceptance of any trip taken as a prize from a Fisher station does so entirely upon their own initiative, risk, and responsibility and winner and any travel companions will be required to sign a Travel Release and related forms. If the trip requires traveling outside of the United States, the winner, upon claiming the prize, must have a valid passport. If the winner does not have a valid passport upon winning the prize, the trip may be forfeited. Winner is responsible for obtaining any other required travel documents, including but not limited to any required visa.
12. Requirements for Claiming Prize(s). Winner is required to complete an IRS Form W-9, Winner Affidavit of Eligibility and Release, and Travel Companion Forms before prize will be awarded. The W-9 and Winner Release will be sent to winner via mail, fax or email. Winner must bring the completed paperwork when claiming prize, or return it by fax, mail, or email before prize will be awarded. Winners must return forms within two weeks of being notified that they have won a prize or prize(s) may be forfeited. For contests that permit participation by persons under the age of 18, a parent or legal guardian must sign the release form on behalf of the winner if the winner is under age 18. Fisher is not responsible for prizes that are lost, stolen, misdirected, or damaged. Winners can select one of two ways to receive prizes after completed paperwork is received: A) Prize will be mailed via the United States Postal Service; or B) Prize may be picked up in person during regular business hours (8am to 5pm, Monday – Friday) at Fisher Radio (140 Fourth Avenue North, Seattle, WA 98109) after calling (206) 404-3137 to schedule an appointment for pick-up. An appointment must be made if winner chooses to pick-up prize at Fisher Plaza. Prizes will not be available without an appointment.
13. Taxes and Expenses. The winner (or parent or legal guardian of the winner if the winner is under the age of 18) agrees to pay all expenses, taxes & fees not included in the prize. Fisher will report to the Internal Revenue Service any winnings totaling over $600 (in cash or fair market value) during the calendar year. Winners will receive an IRS 1099 Tax form if any winnings are reported. Winners are responsible for payment of all taxes on prize(s).
14. Amendments to Rules/Severability. Fisher reserves the right to amend the contest dates and rules at any time. If any portion of the above rules is determined to be unenforceable due to local or state laws, all other portions of these official rules remain in effect.
15. Postponement or Cancellation of Contest. Due to news events of the day, or any reason beyond Fisher’s control, Fisher reserves the right to post-pone or cancel a contest without notice. If, for any reason, the contest is not capable of running as planned for any reason, including but not limited to, infection by computer virus, bugs, tampering, and unauthorized intervention, fraud, technical failures, acts of God, war, terrorism, government regulation, disaster, fire, strikes, civil disorder, or any other causes beyond the control of Fisher which corrupt or affect the administration, security, fairness, integrity of the contest, Fisher reserves the right in its discretion to disqualify any individual it believes has tampered with the entry process, and/or cancel, terminate, modify or suspend the contest. Fisher reserves the right to select winners from eligible entries received as of the termination date.